Estudiando Español

Thanks be to God, we have completed our first week of Spanish school!   We are so grateful for the opportunity to work towards attaining a good foundation of the Spanish language for our life in Peru. We spend our mornings in class and our afternoons studying.  Jason is bombarded with a ton of new vocabulary, and spends many hours on flashcards.  I have the advantage of coming in with some knowledge of Spanish, so I have been recalling and refining what I already once knew.  It has been very helpful for both of us.



I asked the kids to share some of their thoughts on our time in Guatemala and language school.  Isaac and Gemma are really jumping in and are trying hard to learn Spanish.

Gemma said, "I have learned a lot of words, phrases, and rules already.  Now, I need to work hard to memorize them.  I am happy we are going to language school, so that I can talk better to the people in Peru.  Guatemala is helping prepare me for Peru."  Gemma has been making flash cards for herself, her little sisters, and her dad, and takes time to go over these with all of them.

Isaac said, "I like language school, because I am learning Spanish.  I am sure I will be bilingual.  My Spanish teacher is helping and I am making up ways for me to study.  I am making flashcards, recording my voice in Spanish, and creating games such as Spanish scrabble.  I came here to learn Spanish, and that is what I intend to do."



Augustine and Bridget are still adjusting to a new culture and a new language.  Everyday they are getting a little more comfortable and soaking in a little more Spanish.  

Bridget shares her struggle, "Language school is muy mal.  I don't like it, but I think it is important.  It is good to learn Spanish so that I can talk to people, make friends, and understand."

Augustine speaks honestly, "Language school is important, but I don't want to learn, because it is hard."



A few more photos of our time in Guatemala.  The neighborhood we are staying in.




Aviana posing with the woman who we bought her little purse from.


Our family outside San Franciso Catholic Church.





We will be here in Panajachel, Guatemala until February 27th.  We plan to arrive in Picota, Peru on March 1st, our 16 year wedding anniversary!  We are looking forward to moving into our village, Leoncio Prado.  Please pray that they will find a home for us soon!  Our next post will be from Peru!




Comments

  1. I can just hear Isaac’s voice in my head saying those words. He is so task-oriented and down to earth. I remember your family in my daily prayers. It is always a challenge to learn a new language, but motivation and determination are the key to success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Qué maravilloso! Por favor dile a Bridget que no está muy mal. Ella va a hacer bien y encontrará a muchos nuevos amigos españoles en Perú. ¡Cuando les veo, Gemma y Isaac me enseñarán español!

    Que Dios los bendiga a todos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mission Lives On

Personal Encounter ofJesus Carrying His Cross

Ready to find out where we are going?