Walk with One

Some months have already passed since my last visit to Costa Rica and I am already looking forward to the next.  Praise to the Lord it was a beautiful mission!  I was able to spend 4 weeks in Costa Rica this past February. I find so much joy returning to a place where I have built relationships over the past seven years and continue to build new ones every time I go. This reality means that there is always more to do than I can accomplish in the time I am there and so many people to visit. Knowing this ahead of time, I try to come with some clear goals, so that I can be at peace not doing it all!  As I sought guidance from the Holy Spirit, 3 main mission goals were placed on my heart.  

The first being to form a group of faithful Catholics on how to Walk with One.  Walk with One is a four-step formation that is put out by the National Eucharistic Revival.  The four steps are: Identify, Intercede, Connect, and Invite.  The basic idea is that you ask the Holy Spirit to help you identify one person in your life to journey with, someone that God is calling to himself, and through a relationship with you, they will come to know the Lord.  After one week, I met up with this group for a second time and about half of them had already identified that person in their life with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  One of our friends was not able to attend the formation night, so I brought the information and shared it over dinner at his house.  The very next day, he came to our house to share that he was surprised how quickly the Holy Spirit moved in regard to his prayer to walk with one.  That very morning the Lord plopped in front of him the person he is to walk with, an old friend that he did not even know was back in town.  His friend had a lot of struggles to share, so they continued to talk over breakfast.  A person whom he has built trust with, is already confiding in, and is looking for something more meaningful in his life!  Praise the Lord!  Sometimes all it takes is for us to open our heart and our eyes to recognize the mission all around us.


Walk with One Formation Group


The second mission goal was to help Don Mundo and Dona Petrona build their own little home where they can continue to offer their gift of hospitality to their neighbors.  This came to my heart as I was praying the Second Joyful Mystery, The Visitation, where Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth. I thought of Don Mundo and Dona Petrona as I prayed, because they give such a beautiful example of loving their neighbors, which is a fruit of this particular mystery. One clear example I witnessed firsthand during my visit was of a particular needy neighbor who came to their house almost every day timed particularly around mealtimes.  Don Mundo and Dona Petrona always gave generously and without complaining.  They would share whatever they had and feed this neighbor and young child, whom they knew were lacking enough of in their own home.  Another beautiful witness is how they care for the sick.  When they hear of a neighbor who is sick or in need, they make the effort to go and visit offering their prayers and support.  Don Mundo had already put up the support beams and the roof of their house.  With the help of a local friend and mission partners, the hope is to have the house completed by the end of the year.


So proud to have a place of their own

Don Mundo and Dona Petron's house in progress




The third mission focus for this past visit was to continue to provide diarios (food packages) for the poor and accompany the missionary sisters in distributing them. We got into many so many homes in our four weeks, many of which we were able to deliver the diarios. This is a ministry that continues throughout the year with the help of our supporters.  Hermana (Sister) Vanessa has expressed multiple times how grateful she is to all of those who make this ministry to feed the poor possible.  She says there are always so many in need, and this allows her to be able to say "yes" when she is asked for help by the poor. She prays that these donations will continue as it does a lot of good.

Thank you to all of you who continue to support this mission.  It is a true joy to be able to serve the Lord abroad, use my missionary charism and do it with my family.  Every time I go, it reorients me to what is really important and reminds me of the difference between want and need. I see God love his people through the generosity of others. It is an honor to be a part of that chain of events of receiving and giving.  God is so good!



Supplies for the diarios (food packages)



A family in need



Receiving a diario


Gifts of food and a crucifix



They came to us to ask for help


It's a privilege to be welcomed into their homes












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Call to Repentance

Ready to find out where we are going?

Feeding the Hungry and Sheltering the Homeless