Personal Encounter ofJesus Carrying His Cross

 How to summarize my most recent visit to Costa Rica?  Upon returning home from Costa Rica, I was praying the Stations of the Cross.  As I was reflecting on the stations, faces of the people I encountered in Costa Rica came into my mind.  With tears welling up in my eyes, I realized that in Costa Rica, I just encountered Jesus carrying his cross in the people I met while there.  I would like to take you through the stations and allow you to meet Jesus carry the cross in these people as they are carrying the cross.


1. First Station- Jesus is Condemned to Death

In this first station, I see the face of Hermana Ana.  I see her courage as she serves in Coopevega.  Sister Ana is a Sister of the Congregation of Misioneras Clarisas del Santisimo Sacramento.  Hermana Ana, along with two other sisters, share that in all their years of serving, this particular mission post has been the most difficult in terms of apathy from the people in response to their invitations to Christ and participation in the life of the Church.  Hermana Ana is pouring out her life and she faces daily rejection in return.




2. Second Station: Jesus Carries His Cross


In the second station I see the face of Don Mundo.  Don Mundo is a man of faith and gives whatever he has.  He is poor and suffers physically yet picks up his cross and loves those around him.  He walks long distances to pray with people, and shares what little he has with those who come to his door.




3. Third Station: Jesus Falls the First Time



In the third station, I see the face of Feliciana.  Feliciana works hard to care for her large family, but fails again and again to provide their basic needs.  She wears pain and suffering in the lines on her face, yet in my encounters with her she overcomes it with a grateful heart.




4. Fourth Station: Jesus Meets His Mother


In the fourth station I see the face of Jahira.  Jahira recently lost her two month old baby due to heart problems. She shared that at first it was unbearably hard, but she is finding strength in discovering faith and hope in the Lord.  She is still mourning the loss of her child, yet in each day is able to find joy around her.




5. Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus Carry the Cross


In the fifth station I see the face of Wilmar.  Wilmar is about fourteen years old and has received more surgeries than I can imagine.  Wilmar's mother abandoned him when he was a baby, because he was mentally and physically deformed.  She gathered the rest of her children and left Wilmar alone with his father, Juan.  Juan has stayed by his son's side every step of the way.  Working hard to provide all the many needs Wilmar requires and truly loving his son as they carry the cross together.




6. Sixth Station: Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus


In the sixth station I see the face of Luisa.  Luisa was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of years ago. By the time she was given medical attention the cancer had spread throughout her body.  Today Luisa is confined to her bed and being cared for by her 19 year old daughter-in-law, who bathes her, feeds her, and administers her morphine.  As we entered Luisa's room, her eyes lit up as she welcomed the attention and compassion we poured upon her.





7. Seventh Station: Jesus Falls the Second Time


In the seventh station, I see the face of Rosa.  In the three years I have known Rosa, she has lived in five different shacks with her "husband", their four children, her mother, her mother-in-law, and her young brother-in-law.  Every so often, she packs up their few belongings and takes her crew from one bad spot to another.  The last place they lived, she feared the kids would get swept down the river when the heavy rains regularly flooded their house.  Their current housing is a shack made from scraps of wood.  
Yet, every time I visit, she is joyful, optimistic, and hospitable. 





8. Eighth Station: Jesus Meets the Weeping Women


In the eighth station, I see the face of Juliana.  Juliana came to us weeping for her son, José, who is addicted to drugs.  Juliana wants her son to be free, and begged for our help.  Through the grace of God, and the timely visit and support of the Winkelman's,  José willingly entered a treatment center.  Juliana is still weeping for her son, but she now does so with a hopeful heart. 




9. Ninth Station: Jesus Falls the Third Time


In the ninth station, I see the face of Obed.  About one year ago, Obed was at the all time lowest point in his life, when he came to us looking for help.  Obed spent 8 months in a Christian recovery center and was transformed!  He looked great, sounded great, and had beautiful aspirations for his future.  His story is not finished. Sorrowfully, Obed fell, gave into temptation, and today he is back on the street.




10. Tenth Station: Jesus is Stripped of His Clothes


In the tenth station, I see the face of Esmelda.  Esmelda and her husband are actually married sacramentally in the church, which is unfortunately very rare in this area, and satan does not like it.  Their marriage is under attack big time, and Esmelda is suffering tremendously as she is being stripped of her dignity as a wife and mother.





11. Eleventh Station: Jesus is Nailed to the Cross


In the eleventh station, I see the faces of Feliciano and Adalina.  After 28 years together, 5 children, and 2 grandchildren, they are seeking after the sacrament of matrimony.  They are learning about the graces given through the sacraments to be able to carry their crosses.




12. Twelfth Station: Jesus Dies on the Cross


In the twelfth station, I see the face of Patrona.  Patrona just lost her father, and waits from afar with sorrowful anticipation for the death of her failing mother.  Her parents live in Nicaragua while Patrona has sought refuge in Costa Rica.  I see the pain in her eyes as she desires to be close to her mother, while at the same time so beautifully surrenders her will to the Lord's as she places her faith-filled parents into the hands of God.





13. Thirteenth Station: Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross


In the thirteenth station, I see the face of Mel.  I found Mel sitting alone with tears streaming down her face.  I was prompted by the Holy Spirit sit by her and ask if she would like some prayers.  She looked into my eyes and then put her head on my shoulder to receive comfort.  This very night, she was crying because of how alone in the world she felt, and was greatly touched that the Lord would send someone to care for her in her need. 




14. Fourteenth Station: Jesus is Laid in the Tomb


In the fourteenth station, I see the face of Irene.  Irene's baby only lived a few hours after his birth.  Over a year later, I still see her struggle to hold onto hope amidst the loss.  The pain is sharp and the cross is heavy.  I pray she can endure and hold out in hope for the resurrection. 


We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You. Because by You Holy Cross, You have redeemed the world.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mission Lives On

Ready to find out where we are going?