Grand Ideas for a Women's Retreat

 

Women's Retreat Ladies

One of my favorite things to do as a missionary is to serve with other missionaries.  It sparks a fire within me, and my light shines a little brighter with the extra kindling.  Therefore, our recent women's retreat was a highlight of my mission experience.  It might not have played out as grand as I had first envisioned it to be, but it happened and it was blessed, thanks be to God and to the support of the other missionaries who helped.  

Initially, I had grand ideas for a women's retreat here in Coopevega. Such as an overnight, providing childcare, offering massages, raising up local women to lead small groups, and asking local women to give testimonies. My hope was to invite everyone in Coopevega and the surrounding area.  The more I thought about my ideal retreat, the more discouraged I became.  I decided it wasn't possible, at least not for another three or so years. Once my Spanish is better, once I teach the women more about Jesus, once I have some leaders, and once there is someone else in Coopevega to help me, then we can have the women's retreat that I was imagining.

One day, as I was with another missionary mom, I brought up my fading idea of putting on a retreat for the women in Coopevega, curious to know if she would be interested in helping with it.  She said that she would be happy to, just let her know when.  I let this possibility of having help spark a flame in me, and pondered the possibility of a retreat once again.  All too soon, the reality that we live in different pueblos and serve different people reminded me that I was still on my own to invite the women and work out the details.  Once again, I decided that it was not going to work out and set aside the idea.  Fortunately, the other missionary mom reached out to me asking if we were going to have the retreat.  I said that I was unmotivated and didn't have enough support to make it happen.  She gave me some encouragement, and offered to help in what ever way would be most helpful. So, after an hour conversation laying out the retreat, I set out to invite the women.  I decided to keep the invitations to a select group of women verses an open invitation to all as well as shorten the length to a morning and afternoon verses an overnight.   This way I could plan better and it felt more realistic with our date quickly approaching.  Then God sent me more help. Our next visitor from the States was going to be here just in time for the retreat, and she was thrilled to add her talents to the day.

Susan wowed us with her music!

Over the past two years I have been visiting a handful of women teaching them prayers and encouraging them to live faithful lives.  I invited these women to the retreat hoping to water the seeds, planted previously, with a deeper experience of prayer and fellowship.  Of the 20 women I invited 15 said they would come, and 10 followed through.  This is a remarkable turn out in a culture where yes doesn't necessarily mean yes.  The other remarkable factor was the women left their little one's at home to better enter into a day of prayer and reflection for themselves. 

At the retreat we learned about three expressions of prayer:  Vocal, Mental, Contemplative.  We experienced all three.  We sang praises to the Lord together in vocal prayer, we pondered the teachings as we listened to the talks and were guided through a Spiritual meditation, and we contemplated the Love of the Lord in a time of adoration.  

The most beautiful part of the day was the dismissal, because it was a testimony to the day.  The retreat was over yet the women were given an option to stay for coffee and painting toes.  Instead of rushing off as is the custom after Mass, today the women stayed! When the coffee ran out, they made more.  Whether it was the coffee, the desire for fellowship, the other missionaries, or the Holy Spirit stirring in these women, it was wonderful.  It blessed me to see these women enjoy relationships with each other and desire to spend the day at the church. 

I am grateful for the missionaries who helped with the retreat for building a fire and spreading it's warmth.  I couldn't have done it without them.

Please keep the women who joined us on retreat in your prayers. Pray that they may continue to desire the Lord, come to church, and fellowship with one another.  

Our team praying for the retreat before the women arrived.


Time for lunch.




Gemma and Anna painting nails.








Comments

  1. The Women's Day Celebration Event in Office is an excellent opportunity to celebrate and recognize the valuable contributions of women in the workplace. There are a variety of ideas for women's day celebration in office that can be implemented to make the event a meaningful and memorable one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mission Lives On

Personal Encounter ofJesus Carrying His Cross

Ready to find out where we are going?