Surrendering To God's Will


Surrendering To God's Will

With many mixed thoughts and emotions, I recently ended my job as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.  In all honesty, leaving my counseling career behind has been one of the hardest aspects for me personally as we prepare to head back into foreign missions.  It reminds me how strong the temptation is to find my identity and worth through my career.  In the world's eyes I was finally becoming somebody.  I had finally made it.  I was now a professional with letters behind my name.  I have to admit that being able to tell people I'm a licensed therapist has felt good.  I finally felt like I was someone people would respect and admire.  People were now coming to me for advice.  I was gaining a solid reputation as a well known Catholic therapist, and business was picking up.  Financial security was within reach.  Then, I heard the Lord's gentle, persistent voice asking me to just let it go and give it back to Him.  His ways are not our ways!  I am so thankful that the Lord loves me enough to challenge me to remember where my worth and identity are really to be found- in His will!  I am reminded of the rich young man who came and asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life.  When Jesus told him to sell what he had, give it to the poor, and come follow Him, he went away sad, for he had many things that he was too attached to let go of.  Instead of sadness, I feel a sense of growing peace and excitement that my family has made the decision to let go of what he have to come and follow Him!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mission Lives On

Ready to find out where we are going?

Personal Encounter ofJesus Carrying His Cross